"It was a beautiful day, the sun beat down. I had the radio on, I was drivin. The trees went by, me and del were singin Little runaway, I was flyin."
When Tom Petty's soothing voice came through my ipod just before the 8 mile mark, I knew I was going to make it.
The above map shows my running route today. You can find a more detailed version, along with discovering the awesomeness of Google Map's Pedometer, by clicking here.
Those of you that know me well are aware that I took up jogging about a year and half ago. Today marked the first time I ran 10 miles. Previously, 8 miles was my best.
Some observations about running 10 miles:
1. It takes a damn long time (1 hour, 29 minutes, 44 seconds in this case)
2. It hurts like hell.
At about 8 and a half miles, my feet and knees decided to have a little talk with me. It went something like this:
Feet and Knees: "Uh.. hello up there? What the hell is this? Our contract specifies that we're finished at 8 miles."
Me: "Shut it! This is a great AC/DC song."
I feel great about finally getting to this point. I've been telling myself I was going to try for 10 for a long time now.
But here's a humbling thought: Today was also the day of the Wichita Marathon. So while I'm busy patting myself on the back over 10 miles, a whole lot of people ran 26 miles in Wichita today. I think my feet and knees would file an official complaint with the union if I tried that.
Sunday, October 21, 2007
A Milestone... Times 10
Posted by
Travis
at
21.10.07
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Congrats, Travis. It took me an hour and a half just to count all the hairs on that arm. What a man...
I felt like I was tracing Billy's walking path in a Family Circus cartoon. What a run!
Keep it up Travis. That's awesome. I think you're runnign farther than I am.
Post a Comment