Saturday, May 3, 2008

One Last Stand

Sorry about the lack of updates. My luck with avoiding any wacky bacteria from the food or water here finally ran out. I took a dive on Thursday. But thanks to Dr. Hashim, our trusted fixer and recent medical school graduate, I was back on my feet in time to make a trip to Gardez.

The trip marked what will probably be our last adventure here in Afghanistan. It's been a real pleasure working with the talented Mr. Lasseter. When the stories he's writing hit newsstands (and websites) I'll let you know. But you probably won't need my heads up. I'm sure the news will be everywhere.

Tom corrupts a couple of Muslim minds by teaching them five card draw. Unfortunately, Allah would not allow Hashim, left, and Murza, right, to bet. We could have been rich.

I told Tom if we take one more trip, we'll be sleeping on a dirt floor. The lodging for this trip consisted of this concrete room with a few mats to spread out on. Our hosts were very hospitable and cooked us a wonderful dinner. This was despite the fact that they were clearly nervous about housing a couple of Americans for the night.

The airline tickets for home have been purchased.

Afghanistan is one strange place. On one hand, its landscape is perhaps the most stunning I've ever seen. In the parts we've traveled to, one has to only turn their head in any direction to find snow-capped peaks.

On the other hand, the poverty and the many generations of violence make it a sad and depressing place to be.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Travis,

SteriPen. Never leave home without it. I see they are still drinking "Cristal" water.

Glad you are safe. Lots of bad juju going on down south where I was.

Stace

Anonymous said...

Don't know why I haven't asked you this sooner: How are you connecting to the net? Are you transmitting stuff or packing it all back with you?

I was you can't truly experience a country without getting sick in it. Can't say I've ever truly experienced a country, other the U.S.A.

Travis said...

William... wireless internet here at the hotel in Kabul. Who woulda thought? In Jalalabad I used a sat. phone. So, i've been sending all my stuff back as i gather. That reminds me... probably better send back what I shot today.

Chris said...

Travis I've really enjoyed these blog posts. Thanks for the peek into what it's like traveling in this part of the world. Safe travels home!