Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Halfway There (I hope)

So the kitchen remodel is somewhere on the outside of the halfway point. All of the old flooring and wall panels (or whatever they were) are gone. Most of the new floor has been put down. Here's a shot of the kitchen before I gutted it.

As you can see... some remnants of late 50's grossness with a touch of mid-70's tackiness.

The linoleum went first. What you see under the linoleum is gone too. The only thing linoleum is good for is lining the underbelly of your washer and dryer.... and other places it can't be seen.

Porcelain tile. about 170 square feet so far with about 40 more to go.

Ok... here's how you can all help and have a say in the outcome of this kitchen project. Nothing dates the house more (imo) than the wood color of the cabinets. New cabinets are out of the question but I'm pondering painting them and putting new hardware on. Teresa says bad idea. I say i'm undecided. I'm open to opinions.

16 comments:

Teresa Vz said...

No painting the cabinets! The wood is still good. It can be stripped and re-stained, right? Just say no to paint.

matt said...

it is hard to say since i can't remember the cabinets and we can't see them, but i say don't paint. if you have to paint, i guess go white. but mine are white and i am not a fan. and they show lots of dirt.

stripping and restaining may suck, too. how about just start with some new handles?

Jaime said...

VZ, I disagree with you. Those cabinets call for lots and lots of paint. The painting part is a biotch, but well worth it.

Lori said...

Don't do anything about the cabinets for now. Finish the floor and live with it the way it is for at least a month or two, then decide. Aren't we coming to your house in Feburary for book club? I think we should see it in person and give our recommendations. At first blush, however, I'm inclined to agree with Jaime that painting is in order. But I'd have to see it in person.

Kathryn said...

PAINT THE CABINETS!!! We did it several years ago and I love it!! I agree with Jaime, it's a pain to do, but sooo worth it. Sorry Teresa!

Lane said...

You can add a new wood veneer to the cabinets themselves and replace the cabinet doors for a fraction of the cost of new cabinets. Something to look into. But as Matt points out, new hardware would go a long ways.

Sitting right next to me he says, "I know my way around the kitchen."

I don't believe him whenever he starts drinking.

Anonymous said...

The don't anything plan sounds good But once a man starts a project he doesn't want stop and start in 2 months again. I think you need to start by fixing the lighting on the dark side that you never show on your blog then you could see what you got. Floor looks great man.

Anonymous said...

Pattie refinished the cabinets in her house in Newton by doing some kind of stain thing. I don't know the details of the process but I do know that it looked FABulous when it was done. It's worth asking her about. New hardware will definately make a big difference regardless of what you do with the cabinets. The floor looks great!

Unknown said...

Don’t be such a Miser! As any good real estate agent will tell you, the two things that sell houses are kitchens and bathrooms.

Since your kitchen doesn’t need a total demo, shop around for some cabinets that you can install yourself – or with a little help from a friend. They will set you back a couple of grand but you will get that back when you sell your house. Basically what you have now are awesome floors and crab cabinets – even if you paint them. And they are that 1950s crap at that…..

Anonymous said...

Your wife is now being a Miser, too.

Since she won't sign off on the new cabinets revolt against her and paint them!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I think you should take a look at a kitchen remodel in the soon-to-be-terminated Blueprint magazine. It's earily similar to yours, and turns out lovely. I'll put it in the mail to you, so wait to decide!

ab said...

I'm definitely in the painting category.

I'd suggest a camo pattern. People would walk into the kitchen, and be like "hey, where's the cabinets?"

Carolyn said...

The wood can be treated with a finish or stain to get the natural look you'll both love. New hardware will snazz it up! Once you paint it, it's hell to go back.

Anonymous said...

stripping and re-staining is a HELL of a lot of work. Hate to say it but either paint and change the hardware or just change the hardware. And I hate to admit it but Yaka-Baka makes a valid point. If ya don't want to shell it out now just wait. Cause nice hardware isn't cheap either. Now I have to come down to ta-town and check it all out.

Anonymous said...

Comment 2 - the color of the cabinets matches the rest of the woodwork in the house.

Anonymous said...

Teresa, painting is not that painful! You would be amazed at how good a fresh coat of paint looks. It is also easier than all that stripping and staining. Let your inner Picasso out.