So an American, two Albanians and three Uighurs were sitting at this bar...
I wish it was the beginning of a bad joke, but it's the reality of my afternoon today.
I'm in Tirana, Albania right now, the first stop on the month-long assignment for McClatchy's Washington Bureau.
It's different than I expected. Lots of Soviet influence, obviously, but it's certainly changing. Construction everywhere, along with other western influences. The world truly is getting flat.
Everything has been super smooth so far, so knock on wood. I shot my first picture a couple of hours ago... only four hours after finishing a trans-Atlantic flight plus connection. Was able squeeze in a few hours of sleep. I actually feel pretty good. Getting ready to get a bite to eat and then head out to meet another contact.
The guy working for me is an Albanian who studied journalism at Harvard for awhile. His english is probably better than mine. His name is Altin Raxhimi. Good guy. Will try and get a snap of him in the next post.
Tuesday, April 15, 2008
Tirana, Albania
Posted by
Travis
at
15.4.08
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
What exactly are you working on?
so relieved to hear that things are going well so far. hopefully that's a good omen for the rest of the assignment. keep us posted!
Travis,
It's cool to think of you shooting these assignments. I still remember you and the picture you shot at Old Father hall after the lab explosion, when you first hit the DN...., the lost keys and chips and cheese. What a trip it's been. Best of luck on your assignments. Shoot Sharp. Sartin
Post a Comment