So as I mentioned in the previous post, I'm at the University of Minnesota attending a workshop on how newspapers guys like me can learn to adapt in this changing multimedia world. It's something I feel pretty passionate about so I decided to take it upon myself to make the trip up here and learn as much as I can.
In this morning's introductory session, Nora Paul, the director of New Media Studies at the U of M, by way of the Poynter Institute, is lecturing us on multimedia. What is it, why should we be using it, etc?
So she starts projecting examples on a screen of what she considered good examples of multimedia by newspapers. Mostly the stuff you always hear about: washingtonpost.com, nytimes.com.
Anyway, she starts saying something about this next piece being really touching, and how she thought it was a great example of a natural sound video by a newspaper and next thing you know.... MY OWN VIDEO was playing in front of the class. A piece I did last May about a guy who cared for his wife with Alzheimers.
Unfortunatly, she did mention that she thought the display of the video on our website was pretty poor and went so far as to call it a waste of a really great effort. That was too bad. Next thing I know the class is debating about why that might be the case. I thought about piping up, but my heart was beating pretty hard. I decided to just lay low and enjoy the compliment. I hate tootin my own horn as it is. It's not like me to write a post like this, but dang.... I was really just blown away, and totally reinvigorated. Maybe I'm on to something here. I dunno.
I'd post a link to the video, but I don't think it's on our site anymore.
Thursday, August 16, 2007
A Heck of a Nice Surprise
Posted by
Travis
at
16.8.07
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Congrats! That was a powerful video. I heard lots of compliments about it, too, from people who know that couple. They thought you did a fair job capturing their daily lives. As someone who never met them, though, I thought it was very touching. Kudos to you!
Travis, the video is still online: http://media.kansas.com/static
/video/050207alzheimers/.
We entered that in the Online News Association awards. I wonder if that's how she learned of it.
Nick... I asked her this morning where she heard about it and she asked me if I entered it in that contest. I told her i'd never heard of it and she concluded that she was't sure where she got it. But I'm guessing you're right.
I supplied her the video after she e-mailed me saying she couldn't find it online. Ken Speake had suggested she take a look at it after I showed it to him at the National Writers Workshop.
Toot your horn, Travis. That video kicked butt.
Congrats Travis. Glad you are drinking the multimedia Kool-Aid. I like the blog. Keep it up.
Travis, that must have been such a rush. Great work, and great to have it recognized in this forum. Theresa J.
Post a Comment